It is difficult to get pregnant—despite what you may have understood growing up. In fact, fertile women in their twenties only have a 20 to 25 percent chance of pregnancy each month. At 30, the chance of pregnancy drops to about 15 percent. And by 35 the likelihood is less than 10 percent. Throughout your young adult life you likely took precautions to ensure you didn’t get pregnant before you were ready. And now that you’re ready? It seems like it’s taking forever.
When is it time to see a fertility specialist?
Too often couples struggle for months, if not years, with trying to conceive naturally before seeking help from a skilled fertility specialist. Couples who’ve been sexually active without contraception for 12 consecutive months or more without success should seek help from an experienced fertility specialist. Women who are over the age of 35 should seek medical help after 6 consecutive months of sexual activity without contraception. Fertility issues are equally common among men and women, affecting approximately one in eight U.S. couples.
What to expect at a fertility consultation
Deciding to seek help from a reproductive endocrinologist is a big step in your journey toward parenthood, and it may feel overwhelming. We want you to feel good about your decision from the start. Here is what you can expect during your initial fertility consultation:
- You will meet your fertility specialist who will help you through your entire journey.
- He or she will ask you about your medical history and your family building goals.
- Based on your discussion, your doctor will order a number of routine, minimally invasive, diagnostic tests to evaluate both you and your partner.
- Next, you will meet with your dedicated nurse who will help you coordinate and implement your doctor’s recommendations.
- You may also meet with a genetic counselor and financial counselor, depending on your individual needs.
If you and your partner have been sexually active without contraception for more than 12 consecutive months (6 months for women over the age of 35) without success, we can help. Reproductive Gynecology & Infertility offers safe, effective, leading edge fertility services in Akron, Columbus, Youngstown and Canton. Call us at 866-537-2461 to schedule an initial fertility consultation to find out how we can help you grow your family.