Egg freezing is a process in which a woman’s eggs are harvested from her ovaries and frozen (in a process called oocyte vitrification), and stored in a liquid nitrogen chamber until the woman would like to achieve a pregnancy. A woman’s ability to conceive declines with age but egg freezing is an effective method for preserving or extending her reproductive potential.
The process takes about 9-11 days of ovarian stimulation with fertility medications followed by the egg retrieval procedure 2 days later. Patients can go on with their routine schedules over this 11-13 day process and only need to take the day of retrieval off of work.
Are you a candidate?
There are many reasons why women delay childbearing: time in finding the right partner, establishing a career, or feeling “ready” to become a mother. Here are a few guidelines to help you determine whether you are an appropriate candidate for egg freezing:
- You are in your 20s to mid-30s. (Women over the age of 37 may consider egg freezing on a case-by-case basis).
- You would like to start a family, but aren’t quite ready and would like to preserve your ability to have children later.
Women may also choose to freeze their eggs if they have a medical condition (malignancy) that could potentially harm their fertility. Here are some reasons in which egg freezing would be a viable option for preserving a woman’s ability to have a baby:
- You are newly diagnosed with a cancer, which may threaten your fertility.
- Your planned medical treatments involve chemicals that have been linked to infertility.
- You’ve been diagnosed with early ovarian insufficiency.
If you are interested in egg freezing in Ohio, contact the fertility specialists at Reproductive Gynecology & Infertility. We are ready to help you build your family. Call 844-707-1296 to schedule your appointment today.